Juniper Research’s latest report Mobile Roaming: Market Forecasts, Emerging Opportunities, and Regional Analysis presents interesting predictions for telecom operators. Will you join us to know their keys?
Juniper Networks is a multinational founded in 1996 with cd in California that focuses its work on telecommunications and digital security. Named a Leader in Wired and Wireless LAN Infrastructure for Enterprises in the 2021 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™.
What are IoT Roaming Connections?
Roaming IoT is a new type of roaming that allows to solve certain cellular connectivity problems. Thus, when the SIM card inserted in an IoT device cannot connect to a local network, it will proceed to connect to another network according to the pre-established roaming agreements.
Roaming IoT connections resemble mobile phone roaming. Thanks to it, IoT devices can enjoy global coverage, reducing the complexity and cost of their implementation.
Key Points From The Report
The latest report from Juniper Research investigates the foreseeable evolution of such promising technologies as Roaming IoT, 5G and Industrial IoT. The research mainly focuses on solving the following questions:
- What is the size of this industry?
- Where are the main market opportunities ?
- What technologies are driving growth?
- In which sectors are the greatest opportunities presented?
With a growth equivalent to streaming 165 million hours of video in 4k quality, it is easy to imagine the great technological revolution that lies ahead. At this point, the report points out that LPWAN (Low-power wide-area network) offers a cheap alternative to 4G and 5G technologies, thus promoting greater coverage of IoT roaming.
Juniper Research Forecasts For 2027
- The new Juniper report predicts an accelerated increase in IoT connections. In fact, it foresees a growth of 140% in the period between 2023 and 2027. The industrial sector, the growing use of private networks and, very especially, the blackout of 3G networks will be behind this impulse.
- 5G connectivity will be limited to the highest value IoT devices (such as autonomous vehicles and connected factories). In fact, the report predicts that only 2% of all IoT Roaming will depend on 5G networks.
- Roaming IoT connections will generate 1,100 petabytes (currently only generate 86 petabytes). This entails an increase of 1,140% due to the closure of 3G networks. Juniper Research’s own report warns that this circumstance can cause a loss of income for telecommunications operators.
USA: Roaming IoT Market Opportunities
Juniper Research clearly points to the United States as the cornerstone of Roaming IoT connectivity. Moreover, the report reveals that this type of connection will generate no less than 277 petabytes of data in 2027 from this country.
Operators such as AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon are abandoning 3G networks during 2022. Consequently, Juniper foresees a redistribution of roaming IoT connections between 4G or 5G networks with low latency and wide area.
In the opinion of Scarlett Woodford (author of the report), US operators must identify IoT traffic based on network technologies. To this end, they need to implement the Billing & Charging protocol.
In short, the latest Juniper Research report paints a picture full of opportunities for telecommunications operators. Truly, Roaming IoT technology will be key to providing low latency, high penetration coverage.